Place:


Denby  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Denby like this:

DENBY, a township and a chapelry in Penistone parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies at the head of the river Dearne, on the Huddersfield and Sheffield railway, near Denby-Dale r. station, and 8 miles W of Barnesley; and includes the hamlets of Denby-Dale, Dryhill, Exley-Gate, High Flatts, and Lower and Upper Bagden. ...


Acres, 2, 870. Real property, £5, 306. Pop., 1,813. Houses, 375. The chapelry is larger than the township, and was constituted in 1853. Post town, Denby-Dale, under Huddersfield. Pop., 2, 262. Houses, 467. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £129. Patron, the Vicar of Penistone. The church was rebuilt in 1843. There are four dissenting chapels, a slightly endowed school, and charities £12.

Denby through time

Denby is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Denby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Denby, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1161

Date accessed: 21st July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Denby ".