Place:


Bilton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bilton like this:

BILTON-WITH-HARROGATE, a township and two chapelries in Knaresborough parish and district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the North Midland railway, 2 miles W of Knaresborough; and contains the Post Town of Harrogate. Acres, 4,800. Real property, £29,286. Pop., 4,563. Houses, 905. ...


The two chapelries are Bilton and Harrogate. Bilton was constituted in 1828. Pop., 407. Houses, 91. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £154. Patron, W. Sheepshanks, Esq. A school has an endowed income of £30. Harrogate, town and chapelry, will be noticed in the article Harrogate.

Bilton through time

Bilton is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bilton, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11592

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bilton ".