Place:


Binbrook  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Binbrook like this:

BINBROOK, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Louth, Lincoln. The village stands on the river Ancholme, at the foot of the Wolds, 8 miles ENE of Market-Raisen r. station; and has a post office‡ under Market-Raisen. It was formerly a market-town, and a place of some note; but has considerably decayed. ...


The parish consists of two quondam parishes, Binbrook St. Gabriel and Binbrook St. Mary, united by act of parliament; and is held by some to include the hamlet of Orford, which others regard as extra-parochial. Acres, 6,070. Real property, £8,092. Pop., 1,334. Houses, 277. The property is divided among a few. The manor Belongs toTurnor, Esq. There are extensive rabbit warrens. The living is a rectory and a vicarage-St. Mary a rectory, St. Gabriel a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £291. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church of St. M. is bad; and that of St. G. is in ruins. There are three Methodist chapels, a temperance hall, a national school, a reading room, a police station, and a church estate £83.-The subdistrict contains fourteen parishes and two extra-parochial tracts. Pop., 4,468.

Binbrook through time

Binbrook is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Binbrook itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Binbrook, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11573

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Binbrook ".