Place:


Belton  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Belton like this:

BELTON, a parish in Grantham district, Lincoln; on the river Witham, adjacent to the Great Northern and the Grantham and Boston railways, 2 miles NNE of Grantham. It contains a village of its own name, and has a post office under Grantham. Acres, 1,709. Real property, £2,544. Pop., 142. Houses, 33. ...


The property belongs all to Earl Brownlow, and gives him the title of Baron. Belton Hall, the Earl's seat, stands in a park of 5 miles in circuit; and is an edifice, in the shape of the letter H, erected in 1689 after designs by Wren, and considerably modernized by Wyatt. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £430.* Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is ancient and good; and contains monuments of the Custs and the Brownlows, and a rich eight-sided font. An ornamental cross is in the village; and an ornamental tower on a height in the park. There is an endowed school.

Belton through time

Belton is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Belton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Belton, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11556

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Belton ".