In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Belleau like this:
BELLEAU, a village and a parish in Louth district, Lincoln. The village stands near the Boston and Great Grimsby railway, in the vicinity of Claythorpe station, 4 miles NW by N of Alford. The parish includes also the chapelry of Claythorpe; and its Post Town is Alford. Acres, 1,344. Real property, £1,947. Pop., 214. Houses, 33. The property is divided among a few. The name Belleau is derived from some fine springs of water arising from chalk rocks. Ruins exist of a monastery, comprising two gateways and part of a turret. The lands were given, in the time of Cromwell, to Sir Henry Vane. The living is a rectory, united with Aby, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, Lord Willoughby d'Eresby. The church is an ancient edifice, with a small tower; and contains a fine effigies of a crusader.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Belleau has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Belleau and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Belleau, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Belleau".