In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton le Street like this:
BARTON-LE-STREET, a township and a parish in Malton district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Thirsk and Driffield railway, and on the line of a Roman road, under the Cleveland Moors, 6 miles WNW of Malton; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Malton. Acres, 1,644. Real property, £1,419. Pop., 184. Houses, 37. The parish includes also the townships of Butterwick and Coneysthorpe. Acres, 3,476. Real property, £3,395. Pop., 454. Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, united with the curacy of Butterwick, in the diocese of York. Value, £450.* Patron, H.Meynell Ingram, Esq. The church has two elaborately sculptured Norman doorways, and is good. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barton le Street has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ryedale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barton le Street and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton le Street, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barton le Street".