Place:


Barmston  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barmston like this:

BARMSTON, a parish in Bridlington district, E. R. Yorkshire; on the coast, 4 miles SE of Burton-Agnes r. station, and 6 S by W of Bridlington. Post Town, Lissettunder Hull. Acres, 2,336; of which 156 are water. Real property, £3,857. Pop., 206. Houses, 36. The manor belongs to Sir H. Boynton, Bart.; and the ancient mansion on it is now a farmhouse. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £1,065.* Patron, Sir H. Boynton, Bart. The church is perpendicular English, has a Norman porch-door, had once a chantry, and contains a circular font with cable moulding and a curious monument to Sir Martin de la Mare. Charities, £22.

Barmston through time

Barmston is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barmston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barmston, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11512

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barmston ".