Place:


Yate  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Yate like this:

YATE, a parish, with a village, in Chipping-Sudbury district, Gloucester; on the Gloucester and Bristol railway, 1 mile W by N of Chipping-Sudbury. It has a post-office under Chipping-Sudbury, a r. station, and Chipping-Sodbury workhouse. Acres, 4,042. Real property, £9,905; of which £1,395 are in mines, and £10 in quarries. ...


Pop. in 1861, 1,138; of whom 119 were in the workhouse. Houses, 210. The property is much subdivided. Yate House, Yate Lawn, and Firgrove House are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £851.* Patron, the Rev. G. L. Harvey. The church is later English, and was interiorly restored in 1850. There are a Baptist chapel, national and British schools, and charities £40.

Yate through time

Yate is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Yate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Yate in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11483

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Yate ".