Place:


Withington  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Withington like this:

WITHINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Northleach union, Gloucester; 8½ miles SE of Cheltenham r. station. It has a post-office under Cheltenham, and a police station. Acres, 5,830. Real property, £5,637. Pop., 783. Houses, 170. The property is much sub-divided. A Roinan pavement was found in 1811. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £800.* Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church is Norman, cruciform, and good. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £30.

Withington through time

Withington is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Withington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Withington, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11473

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Withington ".