Place:


Barlby  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barlby like this:

BARLBY, a chapelry in Hemingbrough parish, E. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ouse, 1 mile N of the Leeds and Hull railway, and 1¾ NE of Selby. It includes Barlby-Bank hamlet; and its Post Town is Selby. Acres, 1,411. Real property, £2,825. Pop., 471. Houses, 95. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £65. Patron, the Vicar of Hemingbrough. The church is good. Charities, £7.

Barlby through time

Barlby is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barlby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barlby, in Selby and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11453

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barlby ".