Place:


Wymondham  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wymondham like this:

WYMONDHAM, a parish, with a village, in Melton-Mowbrav district, Leicester; 1¾ mile NE of Whissendine r. station, and 6½ E of Melton-Mowbray. It has a post-office under Oakham. Acres, 2,852. Real property, £5,953. Pop., 851. Houses, 180. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £500.* The church is cruciform, with W tower and spire; and was interiorly restored in 1864. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed grammar-school with £150 a year, and a national school for girls. .

Wymondham through time

Wymondham is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wymondham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wymondham, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11387

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wymondham ".