Place:


Worthington  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Worthington like this:

WORTHINGTON, a township-chapelry, with three hamlets, in Breedon-on-the-Hill parish, Leicester; 5 miles NE by N of Ashby-de-la-Zouch r. station. Post town, Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Acres, 1,600. Real property, £5,603; of which £655 are in mines, and £60 in quarries. Pop., 1,172. Houses, 252. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ferrers. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £105. Patron, Lord Scarsdale. The church is plain. There are a school-church at Gelsmore, Wesleyan chapels at W. and Griffydam, and charities £75.

Worthington through time

Worthington is now part of North West Leicestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North West Leicestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Worthington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Worthington in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11382

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Worthington ".