In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Wrexham like this:
Wrexham, parl. and mun. bor., in SE. of Denbighshire, and par., partly also in Flintshire, on river Clywedog, 12 miles SW. of Chester and 179 miles NW. of London by rail - par., 15,879 ac., pop. 28,846; mun. bor., 1297 ac., pop. 10,978; parl. bor. (including Ertbig township, in Ciresford par.), 1791 ac., pop. 12,333; 2 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Thursday. Wrexham was long an important town on the Welsh border. It was known to the Saxons as Wrightesham. The parish church of St Giles, built about 1470, is one of the finest in North Wales. ...
The town is situated at the junction of the Shrewsbury, Welshpool, Oswestry, and Chester roads, in a district containing coal, lead, and iron mines. It has large breweries, tanneries, &c., and in the vicinity are the Cefn-y-Bedd papermills. Wrexham was incorporated in 1857. It is one of the Denbigh Boroughs, which return 1 member to Parliament.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wrexham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wrexham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wrexham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wrexham in Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wrexham".