Place:


Long Whatton  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Whatton like this:

WHATTON (Long), a parish, with a village, in Loughborough district, Leicester; 2¾ miles W by N of Hathern r. station, and 4½ NW of Loughborough. Post town, Loughborough. Acres, 2,050. Real property, £4,514. Pop., 779. Houses, 188. The manor belongs to E. F. Dawson, Esq. W. House is the seat of W. Martin, Esq. Framework knitting is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £380.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor-The church was restored in 1866. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £5.

Long Whatton through time

Long Whatton is now part of North West Leicestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North West Leicestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Long Whatton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Whatton in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11369

Date accessed: 22nd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Long Whatton ".