Place:


Tywyn  Merionethshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tywyn like this:

TOWYN, a village and a parish in the district of Machynlleth and county of Merioneth The village stands on the coast, near the mouth of the river Dysyni, and on the Welsh Coast railway, 10¼ miles S by W of Barmouth; is a sea-bathing resort and a polling place; presents a cleanly and pleasant appearance; and has a post-office,‡ designated Towyn, Merionethshire, a r. ...


station, a hotel, baths, a cruciform ancient church, with fine early Norman nave, a very remarkable inscribed stone lying against the S wall of the church, four dissenting chapels, endowed schools with £17 a year, alms houses with £20, and four annual fairs. The parish contains several other villages; and includes seven townships and a part. Acres, 26,372; of which 2,230 are water. Real property, about £10,927; of which £130 are in mines, and £13 in fisheries. Pop., 2,859. Houses, 634. Ynys-maengwyn and Craig-y-Deryn are chief residences. Trebeni Castle stood on a hill, and has been reduced to mere vestiges. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £224.* Patron, the Bishop of B. The p. curacy of Aberdovey is a separate benefice.

Tywyn through time

Tywyn is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tywyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tywyn, in Gwynedd and Merionethshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1135

Date accessed: 16th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tywyn ".