Place:


Upper Swell  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upper Swell like this:

SWELL (Upper), a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester; 2 miles NNW of Stow-on-the-Wold r. station. Post town, Stow-on-the-Wold, under Moreton-in-Marsh. Acres, 1,460. Real property, £1,615. Pop., 65. Houses, 17. The manor belongs to Pole, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £90.* Patron,Pole, Esq. The church was partially restored in 1814.

Upper Swell through time

Upper Swell is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upper Swell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upper Swell, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11344

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upper Swell ".