Place:


Stonehouse  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stonehouse like this:

STONEHOUSE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Stroud district, Gloucester. The village stands adjacent to the Stroud water canal, and to a junction of the Great Western and the Midland railway systems, 3 miles W of Stroud; carries on woollen manufactures; and has a head post-office,‡ designated Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, two r. ...


stations with telegraph, and fairs on 1 May and 11 Oct. The parish contains also Ebley village and part of Cainscross; and, with Haywards-Field extra-parochial tract, comprises 1,625 acres. Real property, £12,743; of which £1,570 are in railways. Pop., 2,609. Houses, 587. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £540.* Patron, the Crown. The church, excepting the tower, was recently rebuilt. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £47 a year, and a British school.—The sub-district contains also Leonard-Stanley, Randwick, and Haywards-Field. Acres, 3,955. Pop., 4,538. Houses, 1,016.

Stonehouse through time

Stonehouse is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stonehouse itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stonehouse, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11329

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stonehouse ".