Place:


Kings Stanley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kings Stanley like this:

KINGSTANLEY, or Kings-Stanley, a village and a parish in Stroud district, Gloucester. The village stands on the Stroudwater canal, 1½ mile S of Stonehouse r. station, and 3½ SW of Stroud; is a considerable place; carries on cloth manufacture; and has a post office under Stonehouse. ...


The parish comprises 1, 679 acres, and is all within Stroud borough. Real property, £7, 561; of which £14 are in quarries. Pop., 2, 038. Houses, 488. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Mercian kings; passed to the Maltraverses, the Arundels, and others; and belongs now to W. Leigh and S. S. Marling, Esqs. Stanley Park, the seat of Mr. Marling, is a handsome mansion. Traces of a Roman camp are within the parish; and Roman altars and other relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £400.* Patron, Jesus College, Cambridge. The church is good, and has a tower. The parsonage is ancient, and was recently restored and enlarged. A new church, at Selsley, for a newly constituted chapelry, was built in 1862; and is in the early geometric style. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, a British school, and charities £15.

Kings Stanley through time

Kings Stanley is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kings Stanley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kings Stanley, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11314

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kings Stanley ".