Place:


Swannington  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swannington like this:

SWANNINGTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Whitwick parish, Leicester. The village stands on the Leicester and Swannington railway, in a valley encompassed by gently rising hills, and well-watered by several fine springs, 3¾ miles E by S of Ashby-de-Ia-Zouch; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch. ...


The township comprises 1,450 acres. Real property, £8,360; of which £4,132 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 822; in 1861, 1,276. Houses, 285. The manor belongs to Wyggestone's Hospital. Coal abounds, and is largely worked.—The chapelry is larger than the township. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £140.* Patron,, the Vicar of Whitwick. The church is very plain. There are national schools.

Swannington through time

Swannington is now part of North West Leicestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North West Leicestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swannington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swannington in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11310

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swannington ".