Place:


Southrop  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southrop like this:

SOUTHROP, a parish, with a village, in Northleach district, Gloucester; 3 miles NNW of Lechlade, and 12 S by E of Bourton-on-the-Water r. station. Post town, Lechlade, under Swindon. Acres, 1,453. Real property, £2,407. Pop., 362. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £210.* Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is Norman and early English, and was repaired in 1852. There are a parochial school, and charities £7.

Southrop through time

Southrop is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Southrop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southrop, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11306

Date accessed: 20th September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Southrop ".