Place:


Siston  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Siston like this:

SISTON, a parish, with a village, in the district of Keynsham and county of Gloucester; 1½ mile E by S of Mangotsfield r. station, and 6 ENE of Bristol. Post town, Fishponds, under Bristol. Acres, 1,827. Real property, £4,731; of which £500 are in mines. Pop., 938. Houses, 195. ...


The manor, with S. Court, belongs to F. B. N. Dickenson, Esq. Malting and the manufacture of spelter and stone pipes are carried on. A Roman settlement was at Over. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £360. Patron, F. B. N. Dickenson, Esq. The church is old but good. A section with a pop. of 595 is in Warmley chapelry. There is a national school.

Siston through time

Siston is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Siston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Siston in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11275

Date accessed: 24th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Siston ".