Place:


Shipton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shipton like this:

SHIPTON-OLIFFE, a parish, with a village, in Northleach district, Gloucester; 7 miles ESE of Cheltenham r. station. Post town, Andoversford, under Cheltenham. Acres, 1,050. Real property, £1,683. Pop., 255. Houses, 56. The manor belongs to G Fletcher, Esq. Limestone is plentiful. The living is a rectory, united with Shipton-Sollars, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £450.* Patron, W. Peachy, Esq. The church is Norman and good. There is a free school.

Shipton through time

Shipton is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shipton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shipton, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11267

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shipton ".