Place:


Ratby  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ratby like this:

RATBY, a village and a parish in Market-Bosworth district, Leicestershire. The village stands near the Leicester and Swannington railway, 5 miles W by N of Leicester; is irregularly built; and has a station on the railway. The parish contains also the hamlets of Groby, Botcheston, and Newtown-Unthank; and its post town is Leicester. ...


Acres, 5, 410. Real property, £8, 839; of which £825 are in quarries. Pop., 1, 264. Houses, 261. The manor belongs to the Earl of Stamford. A Roman camp is about a mile W of the village. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Groby, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £300. Patron, the Earl of Stamford. The church is large, and has a massive tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £1 9.

Ratby through time

Ratby is now part of Hinckley and Bosworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hinckley and Bosworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ratby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ratby, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11233

Date accessed: 18th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ratby ".