Place:


Porth Cawl  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Porth Cawl like this:

PORTHCAWL, a sea-port village in Newton-Nottage parish, Glamorgan; on a small bay, at the terminus of the Llynvi and Ogmore railway, 6¼ miles S W of Bridgend. It has a post-office† under Bridgend, and a railway station; is a good sea-bathing resort, with accommodations which, in 1867, were still very limited; and, immediately prior to 1867, was becoming a very importantplace for export of coals, and of the produce of the Maesteg and Tondee iron-works. ...


Floating docks, to the extent of 7½ acres, with a depth of 29 feet on the sill of thegates, had recently been opened; the best appliances forexpediting shipment were in progress of formation; and a clear prospect existed that, on the completion of these appliances, capacity would exist for the export of 1,000,000 tons of coal a year. Steamers of large burden are loaded in a few hours; and they frequently come in and go outwith one tide.

Porth Cawl through time

Porth Cawl is now part of Bridgend district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgend has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Porth Cawl itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Porth Cawl, in Bridgend and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1123

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Porth Cawl ".