In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arthington like this:
ARTHINGTON, a chapelry in Addle parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Wharfe and on the Leeds and Stockton railway, 4 miles E of Otley. It has a station on the railway, 9¼ miles from Leeds. Acres, 1,780. Real property, £3,740. Pop., 344. Houses, 63. A Cluniac nunnery was founded here, in the 12th century, by Peter de Ardington. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £140.* Patron, W. Sheep shanks, Esq. The church was built in 1864.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Arthington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Leeds. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Arthington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arthington, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Arthington".