In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described New Quay like this:
NEWQUAY, a village in Llanddewi-Aberarth parish, Cardigan; on the coast, 5 miles S W of Aberayron. It is a sub-port to Cardigan, a coast-guard station, and a watering-place; carries on ship-building and fishing; has a post-office under Carmarthen, ‡ a good small harbour, and fairs on 4 Oct. and 12 Nov. Pop. about 1,800.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing New Quay has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ceredigion. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering New Quay and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of New Quay, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "New Quay".