Place:


Arncliffe  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arncliffe like this:

ARNCLIFFE, a township and a subdistrict in the district of Settle, and a parish chiefly in that district but partly also in the district of Skipton, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wharfe, 10 miles NE of Settle r. station, and has a post office under Skipton. Acres, 5,790. Real property, £1,884. ...


Pop., 174. Houses, 36. The subdistrict comprises also the townships of Hawkeswick, Litton, and Halton-Gill. Acres, 20,797. Pop., 405. Houses, 87. The parish includes also the township of Buckden. Acres, 34,021. Real property, £12,099. Pop., 740. Houses, 159. The property is considerably divided. Much of the land is hilly and moorish; but many spots, near the streams, are low and pleasant. Manufacturing industry, in textile fabrics, employed many of the inhabitants, but has much declined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £36.* Patron, University College, Oxford. The church is old, and has been carefully restored. The p. curacies of Halton-Gill and Hubberholme are separate incumbencies. A school has £28 from endowment, and other charities £34.

Arncliffe through time

Arncliffe is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Arncliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arncliffe, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11218

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Arncliffe ".