Place:


Pickwell  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pickwell like this:

PICKWELL, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; adjacent to Rutland, 6 miles W N W of Oakham r. station. It contains the hamlet of Leesthorpe; and its post town is Oakham. Acres, 1, 480. Real property, £3, 713. Pop., 169. Houses, 33. The manor of P. belongs to the Earl of Gainsborough; and that of Leesthorpe, with L. ...


Hall, to A. Smith, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £527.* Patron, the Earl of Gainsborough. The church is a neatbuilding, with a tower. There are a parochial school and charities £6. Dr. Cave, the author of " Lives of the Apostles" and other works, was a native.

Pickwell through time

Pickwell is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pickwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pickwell, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11214

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pickwell ".