Place:


Owston  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Owston like this:

OUSTON, a village and a parish in Billesdon district, Leicester. The village stands on an affluent of the river Wreak, 2½ miles W N W of the boundary with Rutland, 5½ W by S of Oakham r. station, and 7½ S by E of Melton-Mowbray; and was anciently called Osulweston and Oulveston. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Newbold-Saucey; and its post town is Oakham. Acres, 2, 460. Real property, £4, 579. Pop., 169. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. The manor and most of the land belong to F. Palmer, Esq. An Angustinian priory was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Robert Grimbald; was given, at the dissolution, to the Ratcliffes; and has left no remains. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £72.* Patron F. Palmer, Esq. The church is of the 11thcentury, is in tolerable condition, and has a tower and spire.

Owston through time

Owston is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Owston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Owston, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11208

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Owston ".