Place:


Ardsley West  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ardsley West like this:

ARDSLEY (West), or Woodkirk, a parish in Wake field district, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Leeds and Wake field railway, at Ardsley station, 5 miles NW of Wake field. It includes six hamlets, and has a post office, of the name of West Ardsley, under Wakefield. Acres, 2,250. Real property, £5,139. Pop., 1,646. Houses, 335. Coal is worked, and bricks are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value,. £265.* Patron, the Earl of Cardigan. The church was rebuilt in 1831. There are two Methodist chapels, a partially endowed school, and charities £10.

Ardsley West through time

Ardsley West is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ardsley West itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ardsley West, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11198

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ardsley West ".