St Dogmaels  Pembrokeshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Dogmaels like this:

DOGMELLS (St.), or Llandydoch, a suburb and a parish in the district of Cardigan, and county of Pembroke. The suburb lies on the river Teifi, separated only by that river from the town of Cardigan; is called Bridgend, but includes a village of the name of St. Dogmells; and has a post office, ‡ of that name, under Cardigan. ...

The parish contains also the hamlets of Cippin, Panty-groes, and Abbey, and the workhouse of Cardigan. Acres, 6, 220; of which 235 are water. Real property, £5, 642. Pop., 2, 438. Houses, 641. The Welsh princes had a seat here; and Rhys ap Tewdwr defeated here the sons of Codifor ab Collwyw. A large and splendid abbey was founded at what is now called Abbeybarn, by Martin de Tours; and some remains of the church, and of the eastern attached buildings, together with two curious antiquities in the grounds, still exist. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarages of Llantyd and Monington, in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £143. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a neat early English structure, adjacent to the remains of the abbey; and contains a monument of Bradshaw, who got the abbey at the dissolution. There is a dissenting chapel.

St Dogmaels through time

St Dogmaels is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Dogmaels itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Dogmaels in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 17th January 2020

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Dogmaels ".