Place:


Allerton Mauleverer  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Allerton Mauleverer like this:

ALLERTON-MAULEVERER, a township and a parish in Knaresborough district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township includes Hopperton; and lies on an affluent of the Nidd, at the Allerton r. station, 4½ miles ENE of Knaresborough. Pop., 261. Houses, 52. The parish includes also the township of Clareton. ...


Post Town, Whixley under York. Acres, 2,300. Real property, £3,639. Pop., 283. Houses, 55. The property is all in one estate. It belonged anciently to the family of Mauleverer; passed to Lord Galloway; and was sold, since 1785, to successively the Duke of York, Colonel Thornton, and Lord Stourton. The mansion on it, the seat of Lord Stourton, is a superb structure, and was called some time Thornville-Royal, but now Allerton-Mauleverer House. Clare hill, on the estate, is a remarkable eminence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £63. Patron, Lord Stourton. The church is tolerable. The Roman Catholics have a chapel, a school, and a cemetery. An alien Benedictine priory was founded here in the time of Henry II., and given by Henry VI. to King's College, Cambridge.

Allerton Mauleverer through time

Allerton Mauleverer is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Allerton Mauleverer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Allerton Mauleverer, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11151

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Allerton Mauleverer ".