In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lubenham like this:
LUBBENHAM, a village and a parish in MarketHarborough district, Leicester. The village stands on the river Welland, adjacent to the Rugby and Stamford railway, at the boundary with Northampton, 2½ miles W of Market-Harborough r. station; and has a post office under Rugby. The parish is traversed by the Grand Union canal, and comprises 2,400 acres. Real property, £4,815. Pop., 640. Houses, 144. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to T. T. Paget, Esq.; Lubbenham Hall and Papillon Hall, to the Earl of Hopetoun. ...
There are traces of a Roman camp of 8 acres. The weaving of carriage and livery lace is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £125. Patron, T. T. Paget, Esq. The church is early English; comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and S porch, with a tower; includes a chantry, formerly separate from the main body, but lately thrown open to it; and contains a kind of shrine, in memory of its founder. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £29. The national school was erected in 1858, at a cost of £1,225; and is a handsome edifice, in the pointed style.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lubenham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Harborough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lubenham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lubenham, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lubenham".