Place:


Lowesby  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lowesby like this:

LOWESBY, a township and a parish in Billesdon district, Leicester. The township lies 3¾ miles N by E of Billesdon, and 7½ ESE of Syston r. station. Real property, £2,502. Pop., 121. Houses, 20. The parish contains also the township of Cold Newton; and its posttown is Billesdon, under Leicester. ...


Acres, 2,350. Real property, £4,945. Pop., 259. Houses, 46. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Lowesby Hall, belongs to Sir F. T. Fowke, Bart. The living is a Vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £105. Patron, Sir F. T. Fowke, Bart. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. Charities, £16.

Lowesby through time

Lowesby is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lowesby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lowesby, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11138

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lowesby ".