Place:


Prestatyn  Flintshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Prestatyn like this:

PRESTATYN, a township, a chapelry, and a hundred, in Flint. The township is in Meliden parish; lies on the coast, and on the Chester and Holyhead railway, 4¼ miles N E of Rhuddlan; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Rhyl. Real property, £2, 123. Acastle was built here before the time of Henry II.; belonged to successively the Banasters, the Crevecœurs, the Conways, and others; and has left some remains. ...


The chapelry includes also part of Llanasa parish, and was constituted in 1860. Pop., 700. Houses, 180. Pop. of the Meliden portion, 660. Houses, 170. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £233. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The hundred contains five parishes, and part of another. Acres, 20, 704. Pop., 5, 872. Houses, 1, 348.

Prestatyn through time

Prestatyn is now part of Denbighshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Denbighshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Prestatyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Prestatyn, in Denbighshire and Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1112

Date accessed: 25th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Prestatyn ".