Place:


Quenington  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Quenington like this:

QUENINGTON, a village and a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester. The village stands on the Fosseway and the river Coln, 2 miles N of Fairford, and 8 Eby N of Cirencester r. station; and has a post-office under Swindon The parish comprises 1, 630 acres. Real property, £2, 787. Pop., 426. ...


Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. A preceptory of Knights Hospitallers was founded here, before the time of King John; and went to the Kingstones. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £192.* Patron, Sir M. H. Beach. The church is ancient but good; and has two Norman doors, and a tower. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £10.

Quenington through time

Quenington is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Quenington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Quenington, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11118

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Quenington ".