Place:


Poulton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Poulton like this:

POULTON, a village and a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester. The village stands 3¼ miles W of Fairford, and 5½ E S E of Cirencester r. station; and has a post-office under Cricklade. The parish comprises 1, 580 acres. Real property, £2, 560. Pop., 454. Houses, 100. The Manor House is the seat of Mrs. ...


Tombs. A Gilber-tine priory, a cell to Sempringham abbey, was founded here, about 1347, by Thomas Seymour. The parish is a meet for the Vale of White Horse hounds. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £46. Patrons, the Executors of the late John Tombs, Esq. The church is old, and has a tower. There is a parochial school.

Poulton through time

Poulton is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Poulton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Poulton, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11096

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Poulton ".