Place:


Acomb  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Acomb like this:

ACOMB, a township and a parish in York district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 2 miles W of York, and has a post office under that city. Acres, 1,440. Pop., 897. Houses, 195. The parish includes also most of the township of Knapton and part of the township of Drinkhouses, and is traversed by the North-eastern railway. ...


Acres, 2,273. Real property, £5,361. Pop., 1,034. Houses, 226. The property is much sub divided. An eminence called Sivers' hill is traditionally said to have been the place where the body of the Emperor Severus was consumed to ashes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £190. Patron, F. Barlow, Esq. The church is old, but good. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Charities, £12.

Acomb through time

Acomb is now part of York district. Click here for graphs and data of how York has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Acomb itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Acomb, in York and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11084

Date accessed: 20th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Acomb ".