In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ackworth like this:
ACKWORTH, a parish in Hemsworth district, W. R. Yorkshire; 3½ miles S of Pontefract r. station. It con tains Ackworth village and three hamlets, and has a post office‡ under Pontefract. Acres, 2,270. Real pro perty, £9,725. Pop., 1,813. Houses, 333. A. Park, A. House, and several good villas are chief residences. ...
Stone is largely quarried; and the kennels of the Badsworth hunt are here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £403.* Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church was rebuilt in 1851. There are chapels for Quakers, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics, a large and famous Quakers' school, a training school for masters, two endowed schools, two other public schools, and charities £144.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ackworth, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ackworth ".