Place:


Acaster Selby  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Acaster Selby like this:

ACASTER-SELBY, a township-chapelry in Stillingfleet parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ouse, 3 miles E of Bolton-Percy r. station, and 8 S of York. Post Town, Tadcaster. Acres, 1,523. Real property, £2,638. Pop., 154. Houses, 26. The property be longed anciently to the Abbey of Selby; and it still is undivided. A college for a provost and two or three fellows was founded on it by Robert Stillington. The chapelry was constituted in 1850, and is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £40. Patron, Sir W. M. Milner, Bart. The church is very good.

Acaster Selby through time

Acaster Selby is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Acaster Selby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Acaster Selby, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11079

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Acaster Selby ".