Place:


Oxenton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oxenton like this:

OXENTON, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; on an affluent of the river Severn, adjacent to the boundary with Worcestershire, 2½ miles S E of Ashchurch r. station, and 4½ E by S of Tewkesbury. Post-town, Cheltenham. Acres, 1,050. Real property, £1, 545. Pop., 136. Houses, 98. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ellenborough. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £86. Patron, the Earl of Coventry. The church is old, was recently repaired, and has a tower. A church school, a neat building, was erected in 1862.

Oxenton through time

Oxenton is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oxenton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oxenton, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11065

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oxenton ".