Place:


Windle  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Windle like this:

WINDLE, a township in Prescot parish, Lancashire; containing part of the town of St. Helens. Acres, 2,907. Real property, £87,101; of which £156 are in quarries, £2,950 in mines, £735 in iron-works, £45,449 in railways, and £400 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 9,370; in 1861, 12,229. ...


Houses, 2,159. The manor belongs to Sir R. Gerard, Bart. A brewery is at Dentons-Green; large chemical works and an earthenware manufactory are at Gerard's-Bridge; a cemetery of 20 acres, formed in 1857, and containing three mortuary chapels, is at Old Windeshaw; and national and Roman Catholic schools are at Moss-Bank.

Windle through time

Windle is now part of St Helens district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Helens has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Windle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Windle, in St Helens and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11040

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Windle ".