In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangefni like this:
LLANGEFNI, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district and county of Anglesey. The town stands on the river Cefni, on the Roman road to Holyhead, and on the Anglesey Central railway, in a pleasant vale, 4½ miles NN W of Gaerwen-Junction, and 9 W by S of Beaumaris; was only a small hamlet in the latter part of last century; has risen to provincial importance, in consequence of the advantageousness of its situation as a marketing centre; was raised, by the reform act, to the rank of a borough, uniting with Beaumaris, Holyhead, and Amlwch in sending a member to parliament; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling place; and has a head post office, ‡ designated Llangefni, Anglesey, a railway station, a banking office, a hotel, a two-arched bridge over the Cefni, a market-house, a church, four dissenting chapels, and a public school. ...
The church is dedicated to St. Cyngar; was rebuilt in 1824; and includes an ancient inscribed stone. A weekly market is held on Thursday; fairs are held on 14 March, 17 Apri1, 10 June, 17 Aug., 15 Sept., 23 Oct., and the six market days before Christmas; and soMe industry, in woollen-manufacture, leather-dressing, and malting is carried on. Pop. in 1851,1,362; in 1861,1,317. Houses, 321.The parish comprises 2,426 acres. Real property, £4,838. Pop. in 1851,1,799; in 1861,1,696. Houses,.416. The property is not much divided. Tregarnedd, about a mile from the town, succeeded a mansion of the 13th century, was itself built in the time of Henry VII., and is now a farm-house. Ednyfed Fychan, the minis ter of Llewelyn, and the ancestor of the Tudors, resided at Tregarnedd; and his grandson, Sir Gruffydd Llwyd, who eventually suffered death by command of Edward I. at Rhuddlan Castle, was born at Tregarnedd, and sustained a siege in the fortified mansion. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Tregayan, in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £446. * Patron, the Bishop of Bangor.The sub-district contains also nine other parishes. Acres, 23,259. Pop., 5,431. Houses, 1,263.
Llangefni is now part of the Isle of Anglesey district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Anglesey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangefni itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangefni in The the Isle of Anglesey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangefni ".