Place:


Nympsfield  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nympsfield like this:

NYMPHSFIELD, a village and a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester. The village stands among the Cotswolds, 2½ miles S S E of Frocester r. station, and 3¼ N E of Dursley; and has a post-office under Stonehouse. The parish comprises 1, 472 acres. Real property, £2, 185. Pop., 373. ...


Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. The manor and most of the land belong to W. Leigh, Esq. An ancient British burial-place is on an eminence, overlooking the valley of the Severn; and was explored in 1861, by the Cotswold Naturalist club. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £260.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1863; is in the early English style; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, with porch and vestry; and retains the old tower, which is fine later English. There are chapels for Baptists and Roman Catholics, a national school, and a Roman Catholic school.

Nympsfield through time

Nympsfield is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nympsfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nympsfield, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11038

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nympsfield ".