Place:


Whittington  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whittington like this:

WHITTINGTON, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Lancaster; 2 miles SW of Kirkby-Lonsdale r. station. It has a post-office under Burton, Westmoreland. Acres, 4,322. Real property, £5,389. Pop., 421. Houses, 80. The property is subdivided. W. Hall is the seat of T. Greene, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £415.* Patron, E. Hornby, Esq. The church is good; and there are an endowed school with £18 a year, and charities £26.

Whittington through time

Whittington is now part of Lancaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lancaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whittington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whittington, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11033

Date accessed: 24th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whittington ".