Place:


Newland  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newland like this:

NEWLAND, a village and a tything in Monmouth district, and a parish partly also in Ross district, but all electorally in Gloucestershire. The village stands 1½mile E of the river Wye at the boundary with Monmouthshire, 2 S W of Coleford, and 4 S E of Monmouth r. station; and has a post-office under Coleford. ...


The tything contains also the hamlets of Upper Redbrook and Lower Redbrook, and extends to the Wye. Real property, £6,060; of which £10 are in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 761; in 1861, 676. Houses, 142. The decrease of pop. was caused by migration. The parish contains also the tythings of Bream, Clearwell, Coleford, and Lea-Bailey. Acres, 8, 797. Real property, £20, 887; of which £16 are in fisheries, £260 in quarries, £58 in mines, and £20 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 4, 574; in 1861, 5, 147. Houses, 1,033. The increase of pop. occurred in all the tythings except Newland; and thatin Bream tything amounted to 181, and arose from theextension of coal mining and iron manufacture. The property is much subdivided. Newland House is the seat of the Du Carcel family; Birchamp House, of the Brickdale family; Oak House, of Capt. J. H. Dighton; Valley House, of J. Reid, Esq.; Winnalls Hills, of J. T. Thomas, Esq.; Clearwell Court, of the Dowager Countess of Dunraven; and Stow Hall, of H. Horton, Esq. Somecurious ancient Roman mines, called scowles, one partcalled the Devil's chapel, are in Bream tything. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Red-brook, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £525.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is ancient and spacious; was restored in 1862, at a cost of more than £4,000; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a fine pinnacled tower; has four memorial windows; and contains a beautiful ancient font, a brass of a man in armour of 1450, and monuments of the Wyrhales. The p. curacies of Bream and Coleford, and the vicarage of Clearwell, are separate benefices. Anational school, an endowed grammar school with £183a year, and alms-houses with £229 are in Newland; chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and national schools built in 1862, are in Bream chapelry; national and infant schools are in Clearwell: and chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans, two national schools for boys, and one for girls, are in Coleford.

Newland through time

Newland is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newland, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11017

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newland ".