Place:


Llanwnda  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanwnda like this:

LLANWNDA, a parish in Haverfordwest district, Pembroke; on the S side of Fishguard bay, 2½ miles NW of Fishguard, and 15 NW by N of ClarbestonRoad r. station. It has fairs on 29 May and 22 Nov.; and it contains the villages of Diffrin and Goodwick,- the latter of which has a post office under Haverfordwest. ...


Acres, 5,701; of which 90 are water. Real property, £3,542. Pop. in 1851,1,292; in 1861,1,138. Houses, 262. The property is munch subdivided. A body of 1,400 French troops, under Gen. Tate, landed here in 1797; and were speedily overpowered by a body of yeomanry under Lord Cawdor. There are numerous Druidical remains, and remains of ancient camps. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £220. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. David's. The church was reported in 1859 as very bad.

Llanwnda through time

Llanwnda is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanwnda itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanwnda in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11015

Date accessed: 21st January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanwnda ".