Place:


Boston  Lincolnshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Boston like this:

Boston, par., mun. and parl. bor., and seaport town, S. Lincolnshire, on river Witham, 30 miles SE. of Lincoln and 107 miles NE. of London by rail -- par., 2801 ac., pop. 14,937; mun. bor., 2664 ac., pop. 14,941; parl. bor., 8872 ac., pop. 18,873; 4 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. ...


Its early name was St Botolph's town. The church of St Botolph is a Gothic structure, with tower 282 ft. high. The shipping of B. had for a long time fallen off from the silting up of the harb. with sand; but, in 1881, a new channel was constructed, which has brought the port within 3 miles of the sea. There is also a new dock, covering 7 ac. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Grain is largely exported, and the mfr. of sailcloth, leather, and ropes is carried on. Fox, the martyrologist (1517-87), was a native. The bor. returns 1 member to Parl.

Boston through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Boston has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Boston go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boston in Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1100

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Boston ".