Place:


Newhaven  Sussex

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Newhaven like this:

Newhaven.-- seaport town and par. with ry. sta., Sussex, at mouth of-river Ouse, 8 miles E. of Brighton -par., 933 ac., pop. 4009; town (also in Denton par.), pop. 4421; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Newhaven has acquired importance from being the chief port between Portsmouth and the Downs; is a bonding port and preventive station, and the chief place of embarkation for Dieppe, to and from which place mail packets ply daily. ...


The port is much frequented, and is specially known as a harbour of refuge. In addition to the continental traffic there is a considerable coasting trade in coal, corn, timber, &c. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.)

Newhaven through time

Newhaven is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newhaven itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newhaven, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11

Date accessed: 17th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newhaven ".