Place:


Minsterworth  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Minsterworth like this:

MINSTERWORTH, a village and a parish in Westbury-on-Severn district, Gloucestershire. The village stands on the river Severn, near the Great Western railway, 3¾ miles WSW of Gloucester; was anciently called Mortune; is a straggling place; and has a post office under Gloucester. The parish comprises 1,938 acres. ...


Real property, £5,691; of which £55 are in fisheries. Pop., 463. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. Duni House is the seat of W. V. Ellis, Esq.; Minsterworth Court is the seat of G. S. Gracie, Esq.; and Hygrove belongs to B. Evans, Esq. There are cider orchards. 'T he living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a low tower; and it formerly had a spire, which was destroyed by lightning about 1702. There are a national school, and charities £20.

Minsterworth through time

Minsterworth is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Minsterworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Minsterworth, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10998

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Minsterworth ".